The last fuel station on the way to Charlotte Pass is Located in Jindabyne (39km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and are compulsory on 2WD vehicles and recommended for 4WD from the June to October long weekends on the following roads:
- Kosciuszko Road from the park boundary at Thredbo River
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
- Island Bend/Guthega Road for its full length
- Note: Chains are not required to the Bullocks Skitube terminal
All two-wheel drive vehicles entering the Kosciuszko Road in the Mount Kosciuszko National Park must carry snow chains in winter unless the signs say otherwise (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
The chains must be fitted when directed by signs or a Roads and Maritime Services Traffic Commander.
Generally, this will happen at the special chain fitting bays along the route. If you do need to fit them on the roadside, choose a straight stretch of road where other drivers can see you and where there’s enough room to safely park and fit the chains.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to the NSW snow country in Cooma, Berridale and Jindabyne.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle.
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
The National Parks and Wildlife Service requires all vehicles in the Kosciusko National Park to have an entry permit displayed on their vehicle. Winter peak (start of June long weekend to end of October long weekend).
Charlotte Pass Snow Resort is located within the Kosciusko National Park.
The following only applies if you are driving within the Kosciusko National Park area ie driving and parking for the day at Perisher. If you are travelling via the Skitube, then this is already included within your ticket and you do not need to pay any additional fees.
The following fees are payable:
Car & 4wd's
- Passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child (per day).
- $190 (1 year)
- $335 (2 years)
You can purchase your passes from one of the following locations:
- Snowy Region Visitors Centre in Jindabyne
- Pay station 15kms up the Kosciuszko Road at Sawpit Creek
- National Parks Visitors Centre in Khancoban
- Annual passes can also be purchased online here
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Snowy Region Visitors Centre (02) 6450 5600 between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm daily.
Charlotte Pass Snow Resort is situated in the Snowy Mountains with views of Mt Kosciuszko and the main range.
Just 8kms beyond Perisher Valley, Charlotte Pass Snow Resort is completely snowbound in winter with access only by oversnow transport.
Day Car Parking - Is available for free at Perisher Snow Resort if you are just going for the day or the Bullock Flat Skitube terminal on the Alpine way (when purchasing a Skitube ticket).
Night Car Parking - Is available for free at the Bullock Flat Skitube terminal on the Alpine way (when purchasing a Skitube ticket).
The Charlotte Pass Guest Services Office is located in the Perisher Valley Skitube Terminal, at the far end of the ground floor of the terminal building. This is where the Charlotte Pass Oversnow Transport departs from.
From there you board one of the state of the art oversnow vehicles and take a scenic trip through the main range to Charlotte Pass (this is a charged service).
Please note that you should be ready for your Charlotte Pass Oversnow Transport to and from the resort at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.
If you miss your ticketed departure times then you will have to wait for the next available Charlotte Pass Oversnow Transport, which could result in lengthy delays.
It is strongly recommend you pre-book your Oversnow Transport by calling (02) 6457 5315 for Resort guests and (02) 6457 5245 for Kosciuszko Chalet Hotel guests.
There is no resort shuttle service available at Charlotte Pass Snow Resort.
Nearest Main Town
Jindabyne is just 30km from Perisher and a scenic 8km oversnow trip to Charlotte Pass.
If you want to enjoy the best of both worlds of the snow and an off mountain alpine village experience, then Jindabyne is a perfect location to stay for all your winter and mountain exploring.
Wake up each morning to the stunning views across Lake Jindabyne and the beautiful surrounding mountains and plan your day ahead from here.
Facilities & Services
- Snow Gear retail & rental outlets
- Back country tour operators
- Cafes, Bars & Restaurants
- Supermarket & fuel stations
- Medical services & chemist
- General retail outlets & much more
For More Information
About the Jindabyne region, local activities and events please visit here.
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.
Coaches & Transfers
The following Coaches & Transfers will transport you to Perisher to get the oversnow to Charlotte Pass Resort:
- Sydney, Canberra & Cooma - Private Transfers to Perisher
- Jindabyne & Canberra to Perisher
- Sydney & Canberra to Perisher
- Brisbane, Sydney & Canberra to Perisher