The last fuel station on the way to Selwyn is located in Cabramurra (17km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and are compulsory on 2WD vehicles and recommended for 4WD from the June to October long weekends on the following roads:
- Kosciuszko Road from the park boundary at Thredbo River
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
- Island Bend/Guthega Road for its full length
All two-wheel drive vehicles entering the Kosciuszko Road in the Mount Kosciuszko National Park must carry snow chains in winter unless the signs say otherwise (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
The chains must be fitted when directed by signs or a Roads and Maritime Services Traffic Commander.
Generally, this will happen at the special chain fitting bays along the route. If you do need to fit them on the roadside, choose a straight stretch of road where other drivers can see you and where there’s enough room to safely park and fit the chains.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to the NSW snow country in Cooma, Berridale and Jindabyne.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
The National Parks and Wildlife Service requires all vehicles in the Kosciusko National Park to have an entry permit displayed on their vehicle. Winter peak (start of June long weekend to end of October long weekend).
Selwyn Snow Resort is located within the Kosciusko National Park.
The following fees are payable:
Car & 4wd's
- Passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child (per day).
- $190 (1 year)
- $335 (2 years)
You can purchase your passes from one of the following locations:
- Pay station located 7km’s from Selwyn Snow Resort
- Snowy Mountains Holiday Centre 9 Denison Street, Adaminaby
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Snowy Region Visitors Centre (02) 6450 5600 between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm daily.
The Selwyn car park is a huge sealed area right next to ski hire and the toboggan slope and a short stroll to the Selwyn Centre and the ski slopes.
Selwyn see the convenience of their car park as one of the big advantages for families as they are a day tripper ski resort.
In the main car park there is room for up to 488 cars and 10 coaches, plus additional car parking in the overflow car park located a short distance down the road.
There is no cost associated with parking your car at Selwyn.
Selwyn has no on snow accommodation and therefore oversnow transport is not required or available.
There is no resort shuttle service available at Selwyn.
Nearest Main Town
Adaminaby is just 45km from Selwyn. Other close towns include Providence Portal & Talbingo.
The lakeside villages of Old Adaminaby and Anglers Reach offer magnificent lake vistas and relaxed accommodation while their proximity to Selwyn Snow Resort makes the area a popular base for skiers and snowboarders during the winter season.
Facilities & Services
- Snow Gear rental outlet
- Cafe & Bistro
- Supermarket & fuel station
For More Information
About the Adaminaby region, local activities and events please visit here.
Exclusive Europcar Deal
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.
- Sydney, Canberra & Cooma - Private Transfers to Selwyn Snow Resort