The last fuel station on the way to Dinner Plain Alpine Village is located in Bright (67 km) or Omeo (45km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and during the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles (includes AWD and 4WD vehicles) entering the resort carry snow chains, or where signage indicates, and must fit them when advised (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
Chains should be fitted properly when directed either by signage or a Road Management Officer.
You can hire chains at the base of the mountain from: Hoys Harrietville Ski Centre or Hoys Chains Omeo – 157 Day Ave, Omeo.
When you hire your chains from Hoys in Harrietville, they will fit them for free at their mobile chain fitting service operating between Harrietville & the Mt Hotham village.
Hoys will provide backup service to their chain customers at Dinner Plain and remove your chains if not required before departing for Mt Hotham or on your way home.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
- Vehicles entering Dinner Plain Alpine Village and Mount Hotham Alpine Resort during the declared snow season must carry Diamond Pattern Wheel Chains. Diamond Pattern Wheel Chains are a mandatory legal requirement. These are the safest and most suitable chain for the conditions on the Great Alpine Road
- Ladder chains, spider chains, and snow socks are not permitted for use within the resort
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to Dinner Plain Alpine Village.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
A Resort Entry fee is applicable to all motor vehicles and passengers of coaches and taxis entering all Victorian Snow Resorts (for the exception of Dinner Plain Alpine Resort) during the declared snow season.
Make sure your Resort Entry Permit is clearly displayed & obey all signage.
If you travel directly through the Hotham Resort from Dinner Plain / Omeo to Harrietville or Harrietville to Dinner Plain / Omeo and do not stop, you will not require a resort entry permit. Your resort exit point must differ from your resort entry point. If you are dropping off family or friends within Hotham resort you are still required to purchase a resort entry permit as all vehicles stopping within the resort boundaries must have a valid permit.
If you're going to catch the shuttle bus to Hotham from Dinner Plain, your gate entry fee is subsidised by Alpine Shire Council, all you need to pay is your bus fare. Click here for fare information and a bus timetable.
The following fees are payable for Hotham Resort Entry:
Cars & 4wd Private Vehicles
- $50 per vehicle per day online & $55 per vehicle per day if paying at RMB office
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of less than 12 persons including driver
- Includes the dropping off and picking up of passengers
- Resort Entry is complimentary for arrivals after 3pm until midnight on the day of your arrival
- $18.00 Per adult per entry and $8.50 Per child* per entry
Buses & Coaches (excludes bus fare)*
- General Public - $18.00 Per adult per entry and $8.50 Per child* per entry
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of 12 or more persons including driver
- Also applies to airport bus service
- School Groups (Primary/Secondary Only)** - $7.50 Per student /teacher per entry
- Groups (Tertiary Only)**- $18.00 Per student per entry (travelling on bus only)
- Complimentary Resort Entry for over 65's no longer applies
- For Private cars & 4WD's per vehicle $525 (online) and $565 if purchased at RMB office
- All Resorts permit per vehicle $760 - Includes entry to the following Victorian resorts for the 2018 Winter season: Hotham, Falls Creek, Mt Buller, Mt Stirling, Mt Baw Baw and Lake Mountain
All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST.
*Child = 15 years and under (Free entry for 5 year olds and under)
You can purchase your Resort Entry Permit from one of the following locations:
- Online here before you leave home
- At Hotham Resort
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Mt Hotham Resort on (03) 5759 3550.
Day Car Parking - The car park at the entrance to Dinner Plain and around the Dinner Plain Hotel is only for Day Parking.
Overnight Car Parking - Village overnight parking is available at Scrubbers End and requires a permit from an accommodation provider. Many accommodation providers provide limited parking at the property - check with them when booking.
Your on mountain accommodation is easily accessible and therefore no oversnow transport is required or available.
A snow holiday staying at Dinner Plain gives you all the charm and ambience of a quaint European ski village while the slopes of Hotham are just 15 minutes away.
A shuttle bus (charged service) operates between Dinner Plain and Hotham throughout each day over the winter season. To catch a ride on the village bus, simply wait at a bus stop sign located around the village.
The service between Hotham and Dinner Plain operates 7 days a week from 7am to 6pm (Peak Season) and 7.30am to 5pm (Low Season).
Nearest Main Town
Bright is just 67km from Dinner Plain.
That makes it a great base from which to explore the whole region – for day trips to the snow in winter or during the rest of the year, to experience the myriad special places and outdoor adventures on offer in and around the Ovens and Kiewa Valleys and the spectacular High Country above.
Spring is a particularly special time of the year here with mature gardens, many open to the public during the annual Spring Festival, crowded with blooms of dogwoods, daffodils, irises, roses, annuals and everything else in between.
Bright offers an excellent choice of accommodation, from caravan parks to motels to Holiday Units, B&Bs to luxurious guest houses and cosy serviced apartments.
The many places to eat and drink range from family-friendly pizza to excellent counter meals at the local pub, yummy coffee and cake, to sophisticated fine dining.
Bright is a terrific place to shop at a very leisurely pace, with dozens of specialty boutiques and other retail stores including two supermarkets as well as regular markets including the Make It, Bake It, Grow It Market on the third Saturday of each month.
Facilities & Services
- Cafes & Restaurants
- Wineries & Breweries
- Snow gear hire
- Supermarket & fuel station
- Medical services & chemist
- General retail outlets & much more
For More Information
About the Bright region, local activities and events please visit here.
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.
Coaches & Transfers
The following Coaches & Transfers will transport you to Dinner Plain Resort:
- Between Dinner Plain and Hotham
Omeo Bus Service
- Bright, Omeo, Cobungra, Harrietville to Dinner Plain
Hoys Mt Hotham Bus and Taxi Bookings
- Melbourne, Bright, Albury &Harrietville to Dinner Plain
- Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide & Albury to Dinner Plain
- Melbourne, Myrtleford, Bright & Harrietville to Dinner Plain