The last fuel station on the way to Falls Creek Resort is located in Mt Beauty (30km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and during the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles (includes AWD and 4WD vehicles) entering the resort carry snow chains, or where signage indicates, and must fit them when advised (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
Chains should be fitted properly when directed either by signage or Mountain Staff. There is designated snow chain fitting bays along the mountain ascent so make sure you are aware of how to fit chains correctly.
The sheltered approach to Falls Creek means the road is not usually affected by snow and ice conditions. In most cases chains are only fit during or directly after heavy snowfall, and usually only for the final 5 - 10km. Be mindful of ice patches however as these can form with clear conditions, particularly in early morning.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to Falls Creek.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
A Resort Entry fee is applicable to all motor vehicles and passengers of coaches and taxis entering all Victorian Snow Resorts (for the exception of Dinner Plain Alpine Resort) during the declared snow season.
Make sure your Resort Entry Permit is clearly displayed & obey all signage.
The following fees are payable:
Cars & 4wd Private Vehicles
- $45 per vehicle per day online & $54 per vehicle per day if paying at resort entry
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of less than 12 persons, including driver
Motorbikes & Trailers
- Trailers and Motorbikes are permitted at $15.50 per day
- If wheel chains are being fitted to passenger vehicles, Motorbikes & Trailers may not be granted entry to the Resort
Buses & Coaches
- General Public - $18.50 Per adult (over 18) per entry and $9 Per child (5-17 years) per entry / under 5 is free
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of 13 or more persons including driver
- If you are travelling on a commercial Bus or Coach service, the Resort Entry fee has been factored into the cost of your ticket
- An entry classifies as any time you pass the Falls Creek Ticket Box at Howmans Gap into Falls Creek
- Seniors pricing is available to all guests aged 65+
- $43.20 per vehicle per day paying at resort entry
- Proof of age and ownership of the vehicle must be provided for issue of the Permit
- School groups on an official school excursion/course program are eligible for School Group Resort Entry Concession (when travelling by bus)
- The concession rate applies at $9 per passenger per day for day trips (where the bus leaves the Resort at the end of each day) or $9 per passenger for the entire stay for overnight trips (regardless of number of nights stay)
- This price applies to all people on the bus, including teachers and driver
- Resort Entry Season Permit - For private cars & 4WD's per vehicle $450 online and $525 at the resort
- Seniors 65+ Season Permit - Is $360 online or $420 at resort per vehicle (proof of age and ownership of vehicle must be verified)
- All Resorts permit per vehicle $760 - Includes entry and carparking to the following Victorian resorts for the 2018 Winter season: Falls Creek, Mt Hotham, Mt Buller, Mt Baw Baw, Mt Stirling and Lake Mountain
All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST.
You can purchase your Resort Entry Permit from one of the following locations:
- Online here before you leave home
- Resort Entry Ticket Box - Howmans Gap (8:00 am - 4:00 pm Mon-Thurs & 7:00 am to 5:00 pm Fri-Sun)
- Accommodation Transfer Terminal - Bogong High Plains Rd (4/5pm - Midnight 7 Days)
- Arrivals After Midnight - 7am 7 Days - Park outside Accommodation Transfer Terminal & purchase from Falls Creek Visitor Information Centre between 8:00am - 10:30 am the next day (car must be moved by 10:30 am)
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Falls Creek Resort on (03) 5758 1202.
Day Car Parking - During the snow season day car parking is available in The Gully, Slalom and Windy Corner Day Car Park areas. Visitors may self-park in these areas provided they are displaying a valid Resort Entry Permit. Vehicles left in day car park areas overnight risk being issued an infringement.
Overnight Car Parking - Vehicles staying overnight (or for a number of days) must be parked in specified overnight parking areas. Visitors must drive to the Accommodation Transfer Terminal and look for signage indicating "Overnight Parking Here".
Once vehicles are at the overnight parking waiting point, a member of staff will direct them to an available overnight car park. Self-parking is not permitted.
After Hours Parking - For arrivals outside of normal operation (ie 3am), vehicles may be parked in the After-Hours parking area between the Accommodation Transfer Terminal and QT Falls Creek. This area is lit and signed. Visitors must return to their vehicle by 10:30am to move to an appropriate parking area per the above.
30 minute Village Access - During the declared snow season (June 6 - September 26) Falls Creek village is restricted for vehicle access. Guests will be permitted to enter via Falls Creek Rd under a temporary 30 minute permit to drive to their accommodation and unload luggage. Vehicles must exit the village within the 30 minute timeframe. The Slalom Street entrance will remain closed at all times. This status may apply during some Green Season events.
Ski-in Ski-out - When Falls Creek is under snow the village is declared "Ski-in Ski-out" and closed to vehicles. The Slalom Street and Falls Creek Rd entrances will be closed to all vehicles and the Accommodation Transfer Service will be in operation to transport guests and their luggage to their accommodation.
Depending on where you are staying in the village you may need to use the Accommodation Transfer service to transport you and your luggage to your lodgings. This depends on how accessible your accommodation is to the Bogong High Plains Rd.
The ATS provides on-snow transportation through its fleet of cat-track Husky vehicles. These vehicles are heated and sealed from the elements and with ample luggage storage space mounted on the front.
When Falls Creek village is in Ski-in Ski-out mode the village roads are closed to vehicles.
The Accommodation Transfer Service (A.T.S) is the best way to get you and your luggage to properties high up in the village and/or away from the Bogong High Plains Rd.
The Accommodation Transfer Service Terminal is open 7 days a week:
- Monday - Thursday from 8am to 10pm
- Friday from 8am to midnight
- Saturday & Sunday from 8am to 10pm
For arrivals outside of these times, drivers will be directed to a temporary overnight parking area, however Accommodation Transfer will not be available.
Arrange oversnow transport with the ATS team on (03) 5758 1203.
Dedicated shuttle services operate every day of the declared snow season along two designated routes.
Visitors are welcome to ride the shuttle but due to space restrictions no luggage is allowed but skis, snowboards and shopping bags.
In some instances passenger preference may be given to families with young children and the mobility impaired.
Intra-village Route - A regular shuttle operates within the village taking visitors along a loop from Slalom Plaza to the Village Bowl and then Frueauf Village. Shuttle Stops in order are:
- Pretty Valley Lodge (Slalom Plaza)
- Ripparoo Lodge / Huski Apartments
- Albury Ski Club
- Snow Ski Apartments (Village Bowl)
- CSIR Ski Club
- Koki Alpine Resort
- Frueaf Village
Shuttles loop from Slalom Plaza to the Village Bowl, to Frueauf Village and back to Slalom Plaza. Under normal conditions visitors should not encounter a wait of more than 35 minutes.
Please note this shuttle can become quite busy during peak periods and typically between 4:30pm and 5:30pm.
Visitors are urged to become acquainted with the home trail that leads closest to their accommodation to avoid congestion and wait times when returning home at the close of lifts.
Bogong High Plains Rd Route Shuttles run along the Bogong High Plains Rd (main road car parking is on) with three stops:
- Gateway Cafe (Gully Chairlift Bottom)
- QT Falls Creek (Slalom Plaza)
- Nordic Centre (Windy Corner Car park)
Shuttles loop between stops during hours of operation. Under normal conditions wait times should be no longer than 20 minutes. If you encounter a longer wait please contact Visitor Information on (03) 5758 1202.
Please note this shuttle is strictly for transport of visitors and ski/snowboard equipment only. For transport of luggage from your vehicle please see the Accommodation Transfer Service page.
During the declared snow season, shuttles operate 7 days a week between 8:00am to 5:30pm and are free to access.
Nearest Main Town
Mount Beauty is just 30km from Falls Creek.
Mount Beauty and surrounds offers something for the extreme and for those that prefer the serene.
The valley is a mountain bike hub, with rides for all abilities. It also offers some very unique road rides with challenging climbs to test any enthusiast.
Take a stroll along the river or hike Victoria’s highest mountain, Mount Bogong. Or just relax and enjoy local wineries or a cool beer at the local boutique brewery.
Facilities & Services
- Cafes & Restaurants
- Wineries & Breweries
- Snow gear hire
- Supermarket & fuel station
- Medical services & chemist
- General retail outlets & much more
For More Information
About the Mount Beauty region, local activities and events please visit here.
Exclusive Europcar Deal
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.
Falls Creek Coach Service
- Melbourne, Tullamarine Airport, Albury, Albury Airport & Mt Beauty Park & Ride to Falls Creek
- Melbourne, Tullamarine Airport, Sydney & Adelaide to Falls Creek
- Melbourne, Tullamarine Airport & Albury to Falls Creek
- Melbourne – Charter to Falls Creek