The last fuel station on the way to Lake Mountain Alpine Resort is located in Marysville (21km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and during the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles (includes AWD and 4WD vehicles) entering the resort carry snow chains, or where signage indicates, and must fit them when advised (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
Check out www.lakemountainresort.com.au for the daily snow report and driving conditions for chain requirements or contact the resort directly on (03) 5957 7201. Traffic advisory signs are also located at Marysville.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
There are a few chain hire outlets along the route to Lake Mountain Alpine Resort.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
A Resort Entry fee is applicable to all motor vehicles and passengers of coaches and taxis entering all Victorian Snow Resorts (for the exception of Dinner Plain Alpine Resort) during the declared snow season.
Make sure your Resort Entry Permit is clearly displayed & obey all signage.
The following fees are payable:
Car & 4wd's
- $56 per vehicle per day
- Includes everyone in the vehicle of 10 seats or less
- Weekday - $42 per vehicle per day
- Weekend - $56 per vehicle per day
- All occupants of the vehicle must be seniors
- $14 per motorbike per entry
- If snow chains are being fitted to passenger vehicles, motorbikes are not permitted to enter the Resort
Buses & Coaches
- General public - $18 per person per entry (over 5 years of age)
- School bus - $12 per person per entry (week day entey and bus must be authorised by the Resort before entry)
- A bus is classified as any vehicle with over 10 seats
- Dual Pass: $450 per vehicle per year (any day entry) Allows entry & carparking at Lake Mountain & Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort
- Restricted Pass: $190 per vehicle (Mon to Fri only)
- All Resorts permit per vehicle $760 - Includes entry and car parking to the following Victorian resorts for the 2018 Winter season: Lake Mountain, Mt Baw Baw, Mt Buller, Mt Stirling, Falls Creek and Hotham
You can purchase your Resort Entry Permit from one of the following locations:
- Online here before you leave home or
- At the resort gate entry
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Lake Mountain Alpine Resort on (03) 5957 7201.
Day Parking Car parking is available and is included in the resort entry fees.
Overnight Car Parking - Not available.
Lake Mountain Alpine Resort has no on snow accommodation and therefore oversnow is not required or available.
There is no resort shuttle service available at Lake Mountain Alpine Resort.
Nearest Main Town
Marysville is just 21km from Lake Mountain.
Nestled in the foothills of Melbourne’s closest alpine resort are the villages of Marysville, Buxton, Taggerty and Narbethong. Located only 90 minutes drive from Melbourne in the picturesque Yarra Valley, Marysville and surrounds is an ideal destination for lovers of nature and the outdoors.
The choices are plentiful, each allowing new memories to be made and new adventures to be shared. A place to leave you feeling connected to the natural surrounds, the people and one another.
Facilities & Services
- Cafes & Restaurants
- Snow gear hire
- Supermarket & fuel station
- Medical services & chemist
- General retail outlets & much more
For More Information
About the Marysville region, local activities and events please visit here.
Exclusive Europcar Deal
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.
Lake Mountain Snow Bus
- Marysville to Lake Mountain
- Melbourne & Mansfield to Lake Mountain