The last fuel station on the way to Mt Buller is located in Mansfield (41km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and during the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles (includes AWD and 4WD vehicles) entering the resort carry snow chains, or where signage indicates, and must fit them when advised (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
Mt Buller's wheel chain requirements are decided on a daily basis and are determined by weather forecasts and existing road conditions.
Day Visitor - Daily wheel chain requirements are communicated via the local accommodation providers, retails outlets and authorities who come into contact with people travelling to the Resort. They also appear on large flashing roadside billboards as you enter and leave Mansfield and on the daily snow report. Contact Resort Management directly on (03) 5777 6077 for the most current requirements.
Overnight Visitor - If you are staying in the Resort overnight you are required to carry chains at all times as weather conditions may change unexpectedly throughout the evening.
Chains should be fitted properly when directed either by signage or Mountain Staff.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
- Diamond Pattern wheel chains and Ladder chains are permitted.
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to Mt Buller.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
A Resort Entry fee is applicable to all motor vehicles and passengers of coaches and taxis entering all Victorian Snow Resorts (for the exception of Dinner Plain Alpine Resort) during the declared snow season.
Make sure your Resort Entry Permit is clearly displayed & obey all signage.
Your first stop when you reach Mt Buller is the Resort Entry point at the base of the mountain (Mirimbah), where you’ll be required to pay an entry fee that goes towards the costs of essential services on the mountains - this fee provides entry to both Mt Buller and Mt Stirling.
The Resort Entry point is atteneded to 7am-9pm Monday to Thursday, 7am-midnight Friday and 7am-10pm Saturday and Sunday. If you arrive outside of these times, follow the signs up the mountain and park where indicated, then during office hours you can drop into Alpine Central to pay.
The following fees are payable:
Cars & 4wd Private Vehicles
- Resort Entry Fee - $44 per vehicle per day online & $55 per vehicle per day if paying at resort entry
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of 12 seats or less, including driver
- Parking Overnight Fee - $44 (online) / $55 (at resort) for the first night / $8 (online) / $10 (at resort) Per additional weeknight (Sunday - Thursday inclusive) and $28 (online) / $35 (at resort) Per additional weekend night (Friday and Saturday) [Seniors are free and all occupants of the vehicle must be 65 or over]
Buses & Coaches
- General Public - $15 per adult (over 18) per entry, $10 per child (3-17 years) per entry and $15 per Tertiary Stuent (valid students only) per entry
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of 13 or more seats including driver
- Please note: Overnight guests travelling on a bus cannot proceed past the Skating rink area and must make arrangements with Mansfield-Mt Buller Buslines for transport to the Village
- Parking Permit - For private cars & 4WD's per vehicle $500 online (Does not allow access to the Mt Buller Village)
- All Resorts permit per vehicle $760 - Includes entry and car parking to the following Victorian resorts for the 2018 Winter season: Mt Buller, Mt Stirling, Falls Creek, Lake Mountain, Mt Baw Baw and Hotham (Does not allow access to the Mt Buller Village)
All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST.
You can purchase your Resort Entry Permit from one of the following locations:
- Online here before you leave home
- Mt Buller Resort entry point
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Mt Buller Resort on (03) 5777 6077.
The Mt Buller day and overnight car parks are located approx 1.5 – 3 kms below the Mt Buller Village, an attendant who will guide you to a parking spot in one of the day or overnight car parks
Day Car Parking - If you are staying just for the day, you have two options; you can either hop on a free shuttle bus into the Village, or you can ride the Northside Express Chairlift directly to the snow fields.
If you’ve arrived by bus, you’ll either set-down in the Horse Hill Car Park or the Village Square – ask your driver. After your day on the snow, you will need to make your way back to the Horse Hill Car Park (via the shuttle or chairlift), where all coaches depart from.
Once you have parked your car in the day car park, you can jump on a free shuttle bus that will take you up into the Village centre. Shuttle buses operate from 8am-6pm daily. Park & Ride.
Overnight Car Parking - If you are staying overnight, additional parking fees apply and you are also required to take an oversnow taxi to transport you to your accommodation.
Parking Overnight Fee - $14 per night (Sunday to Thursday inclusive) and $27.50 per night (Friday and Saturday). Seniors are free and all occupants of the vehicle must be 65.
The spring savings begin as soon as you enter the resort, with FREE overnight parking throughout spring – that’s a saving of up to $27.50 per night of your stay (resort entry fees still apply).
Snow Taxis operate 7am-midnight Sunday to Thursday, 7am-3am Friday and 7am-2am Saturday.
Accessing the Mt Buller Village
Accessing the Mt Buller Village differs whether you are visiting just for the day or staying overnight.
Vehicle access to the Village is limited only to those that hold a permit, which are issued only to residents, property owners and mountain staff.
Once you have parked your car in an overnight car park, you can catch a 4WD taxi to your accommodation in the Mt Buller Village (This a charged service).
Oversnow Taxi Fares - $46 per adult (15 years +) and $30 per child (3-14 years) / per person return.
- Monday to Thursday 7.00am - Midnight
- Friday 7.00am - 3.00am (Saturday)
- Saturday 7.00am - 2.00am (Sunday)
- Sunday 7.00am - Midnight
For more information, please call the Mt Buller Resort Team on (03) 5777 6077.
Free Intra-Village shuttle buses operate daily to get you everywhere you need to go with your skis or board.
Three bus routes are available and take in all corners of the Village:
- Ski School loop: The red bus route takes you from the Village Square, up past Breathtaker All Suite Hotel and Pension Grimus, to the ABOM Express Chairlift. This is the bus you need to catch to access Ski & Snowboard School
- Summit Road loop: The blue bus route starts in the Village Square and then travels past Alpine Central, Mt Buller Chalet, ABOM Hotel and then finishes at the Arlberg Hotel - the highest point on the mountain that you can drive to in a vehicle. This is the bus you catch if you need to go to the Medical Centre or Ski Patrol
- Stirling Road loop: The yellow bus route will take you around the residential area of the Village, including accommodation properties like the Duck Inn, Sugarbush, Enzian, Ajax and Ski Lib. It will also take you past the Chamois Chairlift and the site of the World Cup Aerials
Buses run regularly each day from 8am - 6pm, Thursdays from 8am-10pm, and from 8am – Midnight on Saturdays. Operating hours may change during peak times.
Nearest Main Town
Mansfield is just 42km from Mt Buller.
The stunning landscape may change with the seasons, and the activities on offer - but the magic of the mountains and the warmth of it's people never fades.
Whether you're visiting for a relaxing escape or adventure in the outdoors, there's lots on offer.
Indulge in the local food and wine, head into the bush horse riding, walking and mountain biking, or soak up the local creative talent. Enjoy a picnic by the river, spent an afternoon fishing, explore historic towns and villages or simply take in the stunning views.
You can count the stars in the Milky way from your swag, the balcony of your luxury hotel or country cottage and awaken feeling refreshed, revitalised and truly alive.
Experience a warm welcome and a taste of good old fashioned country hospitality. Whether you come for a weekend, a week or forever, in Mansfield Mt Buller you will leave the stresses and pressures of everyday life behind.
That’s the spirit of the High Country.
Facilities & Services
- Cafes & Restaurants
- Wineries & Breweries
- Snow gear hire
- Supermarket & fuel stations
- Medical services & chemist
- Bus transfers to Mt Buller
- General retail outlets & much more
For More Information
About the Mansfield region, local activities and events please visit here.
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.
Coaches & Transfers
The following Coaches & Transfers will transport you to Mt Buller Resort:
Alzburg Resort Day Trips & Transfers
Mansfield Mt Buller Bus Lines
Mt Buller Ski Express
- Geelong to Mt Buller (Sundays)
- Melbourne, Tullamarine Airport & Albury to Mt Buller
- Melbourne – Charter to Mt Buller
Extragreen Holidays – Tour Operator
- Melbourne & Mansfield to Mt Buller