The last fuel station on the way to Mt Stirling is located in Mansfield (54km).
Diesel ‘waxes’ at low temperature which blocks the fuel system and immobilises the vehicle.
If you drive a diesel vehicle, ensure you use fuel formulated for use in cold conditions, such as ‘Alpine Diesel’.
This is only usually available close to the snow fields, so plan your journey to arrive with plenty of room in your fuel tank for this fuel. Only required if parking your vehicle above the snow line.
Ensure your radiator fluid and your windscreen washing fluid can withstand temperatures below freezing points by adding anti-freeze additives to them if necessary.
Snow chains help ensure your safety and during the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles (includes AWD and 4WD vehicles) entering the resort carry snow chains, or where signage indicates, and must fit them when advised (you’ll be fined if you’re caught without them).
Mt Buller's & Mt Stirling wheel chain requirements are decided on a daily basis and are determined by weather forecasts and existing road conditions.
Day Visitor - Daily wheel chain requirements are communicated via the local accommodation providers, retails outlets and authorities who are come into contact with people travelling to the Resort. They also appear on large flashing roadside billboards as you enter and leave Mansfield and on the daily snow report.
Contact Resort Management directly on (03) 5777 6077 for the most current requirements.
Overnight visitor - If you are staying in the Resort overnight you are required to carry chains at all times as weather conditions may change unexpectedly throughout the evening.
Chains should be fitted properly when directed either by signage or Mountain Staff.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
- Diamond Pattern wheel chains and Ladder chains are permitted
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to Mt Stirling Resort.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front
Park Entry Fees
A Resort Entry fee is applicable to all motor vehicles and passengers of coaches and taxis entering all Victorian Snow Resorts (for the exception of Dinner Plain Alpine Resort) during the declared snow season.
Make sure your Resort Entry Permit is clearly displayed & obey all signage.
Your first stop when you reach Mt Stirling is the Resort Entry point at the base of the mountain (Mirimbah), where you’ll be required to pay an entry fee that goes towards the costs of essential services on the mountains - this fee provides entry to both Mt Buller and Mt Stirling.
The Resort Entry point is personed Monday-Thursday, 7am-midnight Friday and 7am-10pm Saturday and Sunday.
The following fees are payable:
Cars & 4wd Private Vehicles
- Resort Entry Fee - $44 per vehicle per day online & $55 per vehicle per day if paying at resort entry
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of 12 seats or less, including driver
- Parking Overnight Fee - $44 (online) $55 (at resort) or the first night / $8 (online) $10 (at resort) per additional weeknight (Thursday - Sunday inclusive) / $28 (online) $35 (at resort) additional weekend night (Friday & Saturday)
Buses & Coaches
- General Public - $15 Per adult (over 18) per entry and $10 Per child/school student (3-17 years) per entry
- Vehicles with a carrying capacity of 13 or more seats, including the driver
- Please note: If you are bringing a busload of passengers to Mt Stirling, you will need to complete a Bus Manifest (either using your own template or you can download one here) and provide it at the Resort Entry Gate
- Parking Permit - For private cars & 4WD's per vehicle $500 online
- All Resorts permit per vehicle $760 - Includes entry and car parking to the following Victorian resorts for the 2018 Winter season: Mt Stirling, Mt Buller, Falls Creek, Lake Mountain, Mt Baw Baw and Hotham (does not allow access to the Mt Buller Village)
All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST.
You can purchase your Resort Entry Permit from one of the following locations:
- Online here before you leave home
- Mt Stirling/Mt Buller Resort entry point at Mirimbah
For More Information
Please visit here or you can call the Mt Stirling Resort on (03) 5777 6077.
Day Car Parking – Free parking is available at Mt Stirling.
Night Car Parking - $13.50 per night (Sunday to Thursday inclusive) and $25.50 per night (Friday and Saturday). Seniors are free and all occupants of the vehicle must be 65 or over.
Mt Stirling has no oversnow transport and is not required or available.
There is no resort shuttle service available at Mt Stirling.
Nearest Main Town
Mansfield is just 54km from Mt Stirling.
The stunning landscape may change with the seasons, and the activities on offer - but the magic of the mountains and the warmth of its people never fades.
Whether you're here for a relaxing escape or adventure in the outdoors, there's lots on offer.
Indulge in the local food and wine, head into the bush horse riding, walking and mountain biking, or soak up the local creative talent. Enjoy a picnic by the river, spent an afternoon fishing, explore historic towns and villages or simply take in the stunning views.
You can count the stars in the Milky way from your swag, the balcony of your luxury hotel or country cottage and awaken feeling refreshed, revitalised and truly alive.
Experience a warm welcome and a taste of good old fashioned country hospitality.
Whether you come for a weekend, a week or forever, in Mansfield Mt Buller you will leave the stresses and pressures of everyday life behind.
That’s the spirit of the High Country.
Facilities & Services
- Cafes & Restaurants
- Wineries & Breweries
- Snow gear hire
- Supermarket & fuel stations
- Medical services & chemist
- General retail outlets & much more
For More Information
About the Mansfield region, local activities and events please visit here.
Exclusive Europcar Deal
We've partnered with Europcar, where your hire car rates will include Snow Chains and Snow Cover at participating locations within Australia! T&C's apply. For more info view here.